Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Long Overdo Update

I would like to formally introduce you all to our daughter
Hazel Lynette Reed.

This is a MRI picture taken at our last appointment at Boston Childrens Hospital. I love this picture because she is wrestling her umbilical cord and it looks like she's smiling. Unfortuntaely you can also see some of her deformities. They have diagnosed her with a variation of holoprosencephaly which basically means there is so much water on the brain (all of the white) that a brain did not develop. In addition she does not have a nose. I know, it appears as if she has one, but that is her upper lip. Her nostrils, or what should have been her nostrils, are located over her eyes. If you can see the protrusion on her forehead you have located one of her nostrils. Lastly, she has a kinked brain stem. The brain stem controls many of our innate reactions such as breathing and swallowing so you can imagine how important it is.


It's difficult to believe that we just started our 3rd trimester. Some days are really good and we are able to keep a very clear perspective and be grateful for the perfect daughter we have been given. Other days are really bad and I struggle to even get out of bed. It's hard to know that every day is one day less with her physically. Some days I think I have so much to look forward to and then others I am bitter that I am spending my pregnancy looking at caskets and headstones.


From here on out the Doctors can make the decision to take her at anytime based on her wellness and mine. I'm very afraid because I don't feel ready to part with her. I don't know if I ever will. However I do have faith that when it happens Heavenly Father's peace and comfort will not fail us. It hasn't failed us yet.


The Doctors have recommended that we use this time to parent Hazel and do things with her that we would have normally done with her throughout her life. So I would like to introduce you to the newest member of our family...

This is Gidget Brie Reed aka our new puppy.

(I always promised Brie I would name our first born after her so here you go.) We would have given Hazel a puppy at some point because every child should have a dog so we adopted Gidget. We have had her for 6 weeks and she is 4 months old. She is a bassett/doxen mix or a bashound. Actually she's just naughty. If you have seen the movie Marley & Me you have met our dog. There is nothing she will not chew and swallow, no furniture she will not throw up on, and strongly believes that potty training does not apply to her. This is not a great picture, but I can only take one when she's sleeping because otherwise she doesn't stop moving. I have to say she is a lot fo fun and has been a huge blessing in our lives right now. She keeps us busy and get's us out of the house on days when we don't want to confront the world. She's also a great cuddler at night and a good playmate to Brockie.


Lastly, congratulations to the newest graduates in our family. My Mom recently finished her Bachelor's degree and and Travis finished his Master's. They will both be walking in May. I am so proud of them. Travis will most likely begin his second Master's program this summer to become certified in Administration. Good for that guy. My brother Anders will also be graduating from Coast Guard boot camp at the end of this month and will be stationed in Portsmouth, New Hampshire soon. Yea! Another place to vacation near the beach and outlets.


I know I should be better about updating, but I make no promises. I will however post some pictures of me and Hazel aka my belly. I will not post pictures of my cankles so don't even ask.

Again, I just wanted to thank everyone for their prayers and support at this time. We feel very loved and blessed to have such great family and friends watching out for us.

19 comments:

The Metzgers said...

I love you! Hazel is lucky to have you as a mom.

The Wyler Family said...

Wow, what a post! congratulations on so many things! you truly amaze me (let's be honest... you always have!). you have incredible faith. you are inspiring. thanks for the updates. have fun with that naughty puppy. and post some prego pics soon. you gotta love the cankles, no? i didn't realize how bad mine were until after they were gone and my ankles came back. i seriously couldn't believe how skinny my ankles were. at least something on me was skinny after childbirth. :) funny times. i love you! we continue to pray for you guys each day.

Brittany said...

Hazel is a beautiful girl with a beautiful name. Girl names are just always easier than boy names! Well, we lost your blog address for a long time and come to find out you've had a lot going on. Sorry we missed the new house because we sent your Christmas card to the wrong place...gotta get the new address. Good luck over the next few weeks. Of course it won't be easy but know that at least two more people will be praying for the three of you. I can't think of two stronger people and obviously the Lord couldn't either. Congrats to the graduates and the puppy!!! We love you!!!

janeen said...

We love ya Kirsty and Travis. We continue to pray for you and Hazel.

ashley said...

hazel, i love that name. just beautiful.

kristen, i wish i could just give you a hug. for reals. i wish i could say so many things right now, and help make things better. know that your in my prayers and thoughts.

nancy said...

She is beautiful Kirstin, and I am so excited for you, you are a great mom. I love you and miss your face. Your new dog is rad, and your fam is awesome. I wish I would have nailed down the first born thing earlier. Maybe a bird named nancy? That's cute. We're havin fun here.........

Lee said...

I appreciate this update. Congratulations to your mom, Anders, and Travis. Have fun with Gidget. I continue to keep you close in my thoughts and prayers. May the Lord give you all the peace and strength you need today and for the days ahead. I send my love to you, Travis, and Hazel. - Aunt Lee

Jennelle said...

Kirsten I just love you. I admire your strength and your faith. What a challenge this must be. You are all in my prayers! hugs xoxo

Chris and Cassie said...

Thanks for the update Kirst; somehow you manage to do it again and get me laughing despite the tough circumstances you and Trav are in. Keep us posted on things, you're a wonderful mom. Hope you know that! You're always in our prayers. Love Cass & Chris

den leaders said...

I have been thinking about you a lot and I am very appreciative for the update :) I don't get to see you grow (physically), and I really wish I could see the cankles. Anyway, I miss you and I want you to call me whenever you are so inclined.

Dana and ohana said...

we want pictures of cankles!
Love you and Travis and Hazel and Gidg!!!!
Dane*and*Jam

Shannon said...

Kirstin,
Hazel is lucky to have you and Travis for parents for as long as she can possibly make it in this life, and then for eternity thereafter!! I can't imagine how hard this must be for you guys. We wish you strength and comfort as you continue on in the pregnancy and eventual delivery. Know that we love you guys and are praying for your family!!

Caroline said...

hi kirstin,
just wanted to let you know that i follow your blog and am amazed by your strength. you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.
caroline

kater said...

I have never read your blog before. It is sureal to stumble into someone's life and catch a glimpse of them. I was so touched by you Kristin. Your strength and loved have overwhelmed me. I feel blessed to have had the fortune to stumble into your special world. I will send you any strength I can spare. May god wrap your beautiful family in his arms of love.

apentrev said...

Ok, just wanna say how much I cried reading that. Crap you rock!! and i love Hazel, what a sweet sweet baby. You are an inspiration and make me want to be a better mom. Take care, Love, Aprille =)

Brie said...

hi....I really think nance is onto something with the bird thing...I heart you friend. and hazel and gidget. im glad my namesake is being carried on...take care of yourself and give yourself a break once in awhile okay. cankles are overrated..its the relief society arms that are all the rage nowadays. love you like the secret crush on ABE. Oh Abe...loves. give robin a little butt pat from me and a hug to travis for gradumgating.

Molly Malia said...

woo hoo! i'm so excited for you guys!! i was just thinking about you and when baby reed was going to happen! yippie! love you guys!

Ackerman/Mejias Family said...

We are praying for you continually!
Hazel is a sweet name. You are an amazing mother.

john and nikki said...

Kirsty and Travis - I can not even fathom how hard this must be for you guys. Hazel is extremely lucky to have you guys as parents. We're praying for you all to have the strength, comfort and peace that you need to get through this trial. You guys are truly amazing. Hang in there. Sending prayers and hugs your way.