Thursday, March 18, 2010

Laughter IS the best medicine

After rereading my recent blog posts, I have decided it's probably important that everyone know that not only have we been doing a lot of crying lately, but also laughing. Mostly at my expense, but I have zero pride after all I've been through. I thought I would share our top 3 "most hilarious" hospital moments.

#3

This is my Mom and Dad. Cute couple right? Someone should have informed the autopsy Doctor. When she came to deliver the preliminary autopsy results my Dad was sitting with me. She then reported she saw no reason for me and my Dad (whom she thought was my husband) not to try again in the future. At first, I was convinced I misunderstood what was going on because of the pain medication. However my Dad soon corrected her which led me to a few thoughts... a) If you were looking for reasons why Hazel had abnormalities it might stem from the fact that you think I'm pulling a Mackenzie Phillips. b) Really? and c) Gross. My Father takes this as a huge compliment that he looks so young. The rest of us just laugh/throw up in our mouths.
#2

Go ahead. Don't feel guilty for laughing at this picture. Most people would be ashamed to post this, but like I said- zero pride left. Travis and I actually just laughed hysterically looking at this. Apparently I was taking inspiration from Jabba the Hutt because it looks like I ate a whole star fleet. And yes, that is what a person looks like after not showering for 9 days and taking percocet. Lastly, I mentioned that Travis was a pretty good nurse. It takes practice though. Especially the stupid oxygen cannula. This was his first attempt. Not right. Not even close, but good attempt.


#1
There is no picture to accompany our #1 "most hilarious" moment and you'll thank me for that later. Let's just say it had to do with being alone with a male nurse during kidney dialysis, stool softeners, a bed pan, and help using toilet paper. Yeah. If you can't laugh at yourself, life is not worth living.

14 comments:

Smilin' sunshine said...

I am laughing!! You guys are funny!
I love that they thought your dad was your husband. He is a great guy and all, but come on. He does look a bit older than you!!

Smilin' sunshine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Smilin' sunshine said...

sorry, hit post twice!

ashley said...

oh kirstin, i love you. laughter is the best medicine, thanks for the laughs today ;)

Robin said...

Good times! HA! I love laughing with you guys!

Lisa Woodbury said...

I was sure this may be the one thing that had no humor in your life. Hmmmm.... I was wrong! Leave it to you to find the best of ANY situation. But, still praying and thinking of you guys.

Lee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lee said...

I laughed so hard. The picture from Travis' first attempt to hook you up to the oxygen is a classic! You are one awesome model for whomever took your photo. I just love your sense of humor. Thanks for sharing this "medicine" with us so we may "heal," too.
XO - aunt lee

mckellebmassmemo said...

I give Travis kudoos for the Oxygen set up. In all my years of nursing and having patients try to put on their oxygen, I've never seen anything so creative.

john and nikki said...

Thanks for sharing. You had me rolling with laughter, not with the picture but with your comments about Jabba the Hut. You two are hilarious. i am glad you are still able to laugh at these things and make the best out a difficult situation. Love you guys and can't wait to see you in June!

Brie said...

as i was reading about jabba the hut, i was making my chew bacca sound...it just felt right...i heart you

Anonymous said...

i definitely enjoy your posting type, very charming,
don't give up and also keep creating in all honesty , because it simply nicely to look through it,
impatient to look at additional of your stories, kind regards!

Gregg Symington said...

I like that cannula application. It keeps it out of you eyes.
Very creative if nothing else.

heidi said...

i love that you are still laughing--you are so right--the BEST medicine!
your little nephew logan and my oshyn are on the same soccer team right now!