Thursday, March 11, 2010

Let Angels Lead You In



Dear Friends


I'm not quite sure what to say and so have avoided this post for a few days. Let me start with the easy stuff... my health is slowly but surely improving. The Doctors are encouraged by all of my tests and feel confident that I will make a full recovery soon. I am feeling better and better each day, just a bit tired. Who knew a shower could be completely exhausting? The great news is I have lost about 60 pounds in 3 weeks! Yeah. I don't suggest my methods, kidney dialysis, plasma replacement, overall loss of appetite from being immobile in a hospital bed, however very effective. Most of the weight was toxic fluid from my kidneys failing to function. I still have some baby weight to lose, but most of the work has been done for me.



On that note, it took a few days for us all to realize how sick I really was and what the outcome could be. Googling HELLP syndrome afterwards was a semi traumatic experience for me. I met every criteria for "rarely happens, but possible." I am alive today because of the faithful prayers and fasting of so many, the amazing skill and care of the Doctors, and without question due to the vigilance and tenderness of the nurses at Baystate hospital. Our thanks is eternal and we hope for opportunities to repay our debt to each of you.


Now onto the stuff that makes you go hmmm... I think it was the book Tuesdays with Morrie that encouraged the idea of having a living funeral so you could know how much you mean to other people. I believe Travis and I were given that unique opportunity by Hazel. As I reflect on all of the many ways we have been shown love and sympathy over the past couple of weeks I am completely overwhelmed and humbled. I don't have words, and I don't think I ever will, to describe the depth of our gratitude. I cannot tell you what it felt like to see so many of you at Hazel's memorial service. It brought us such comfort and real joy. I'm also grateful that Hazel has allowed us to reconnect with friends and family. What a blessing she is.



And now the hard stuff... we are continually being asked how we are (which by the way is completely fine) and the honest answer is some moments are great and others we are broken hearted. We still do a fair amount of crying ourselves to sleep at night and are struck at random moments with waves of grief, but we are comforted to know families can be together forever. Our sweet Hazel is engaged in a greater work for now, but someday we will all be together again. Hopefully she's preparing her brothers and sisters for this life and talking us up a bit. Travis and I are taking care of each other the best we can (he's actually a great nurse) and are grateful for the uniting power of trials.
I once heard someone say, "Don't be sad it's over, be glad you were able to go through it." That's kind of how we think of this experience. We are the blessed one's. As always, thank you for your continued prayers on our behalf. We love you!

16 comments:

winter said...

Love you Bug! Let me know when I can come visit you, even if it is just 30 minutes. I don't mind.

Caroline said...

Thanks for keeping us updated on your health. I'm so glad that you are doing better!

janeen said...

I wish I lived closer to you so I could come over and give you a nice big bum slap. :) We love you guys and are glad you are on the mend.

Debbie said...

You, Travis and Hazel have taught me a great deal about love, faith and endurance. You have been and continue to be an inspiration to me. Thank you for sharing this incredible experience. I love you guys.

Aunt Debbie

Wes, Dawn, Kaytin and Caleb said...

I love you!
You, my friend, are my hero.
Your faith speaks volumes.
I miss you and hope to see you again someday soon.

Anonymous said...

We love you so much, you and Travis are an amazing example. We love you, start feeling better!
Love, Robby and Amanda

Brittany said...

There's nothing like searching for the right words and then not finding them but know that we wish we were closer. I always feel so helpless when I'm far away from family and friends. I didn't even have your new address. Lame!!! Anyways...just wanted to say hi. One of these days we'll be able to make it up north--I'd love to see you guys~

Brie said...

i love you friend. you continue to amaze me with your humor and clear perspective- and that quote fits you to a tee...you are one of the strongest most faithful people i get to be friends with. love you.

ashley said...

gosh i love you. glad your feeling better and hope you continue to get back to yourself! your amazing. loves.

Kimmy said...

Kirsten,

I know that I am not family and we don't really know eachother all that well. I must tell you though that my thoughts are with you often. I feel so strongly that our Heavenly Father loves you so very much.

Last Sunday morning before church, and this was following many thoughts of you the week previous and before. I had this overwhelming feeling that I would know you pretty well and I felt that it would be through visiting teaching somehow. It was an interesting thought because I already had an assignment. Well, in Relief Society on Sunday, we had a visiting teaching lesson that I was able to attend because the YW taught primary. In that meeting I learned that I would have a new assignment, unbeknownst to me. Before seeing my assignment on paper, I knew that you would be on my list of sisters to teach. Well guess what? There you were! I felt my Heavenly Fathers love for you and me because I knew I would be blessed to know you and learn from you and your experiences. I/we pray for you every day and want to help in any way you need. Know that you have a new Visiting Teacher who loves you! I will be in touch to see how I can help in any way.

Love,
Kimberly Lewis

Caroline said...

you are an inspiration. thank you so much for sharing this experience with all of us.

Lisa Holland said...

I feel privileged to get to hear some of your innermost thoughts. I also was privileged to being a "part of your family" for a few days, crying with you, smiling with you, and loving Hazel with you. We were all touched by your wisdom and resilience and hope that your health continues to get better.

john and nikki said...

I am so glad you are starting to recover Kirstin. I wish I was closer so i could lend a hand or a listenign ear. I am sad I was not able to attend Hazel's memorial, but know I was there in spirit. I am sure you will have good and bad days, so feel free to call if you ever need someone to talk to or just listen. We love you guys and are amazed at your strength and humor during this trial.

Switzer-land said...

It is so brave of you to let us all in on your thoughts and feelings and to lay bare your whole experience. You amaze me Kirstin!

Anonymous said...

We love you beyond measure, and we are so thankful you are physically on the mend. It sounds like you and Travis are in a very healthy place in your grieving and recovery. I cannot speak for everyone, but I imagine there isn't one person who expects to be paid back. We have all been blessed. You have already given to us by allowing us into this precious time of your life, and to be able to do things for all of you. You do not need to even entertain the thought of trying to pay others back - you have done way more than that by allowing us to be part of your life. I hope you are able to take the time to take care of yourself - physically, mentally and emotionally before you return to work. This is your time for you, Travis, healing, reflection, and dreams for the future.
BTW, there are so many varieties and shades of purple. Is Hazel's favorite the same as the sweater you wore at the memorial service?
With love and hugs,
Aunt Lee

"The Landlord" said...

Kristen - Hna Lemke from your mission here. I'm so relieved you're getting better. My friends lost a little girl a year ago and adapted a similar mantra - "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened"

Take care and know you are loved...
Bree