Friday, September 7, 2007

First week of school

Not bad. I anticipated worse so I think things have turned out well. For those of you that don't know what I teach, I am one of the SEBS (Social Emotional Behavioral Support) teachers. Criteria to be in my class: assault a teacher or cop. But anywho I do love my kids. They all have something that I just gravitate towards. I get them, well some of the time. I do have a few heavy hitters this year. I already have two suspended for gang fights- LOTS of blood in the hallway. One suspended after a weapons check. And one lit a girl's hair on fire last year and has not gone to one class yet this year. But then again I have a few back from last year that are actually 10th graders and are doing GREAT! They're excited about school and they have really tried to help me "train" the incoming freshmen. (They don't remember that they acted the same way when they were freshmen). So all in all, things went well. I am exhausted, but excited and can't wait to sleep in tomorrow.

4 comments:

john and nikki said...

sounds like you are a special agent yourself. sounds like you have your hands full this year. i'm sure you'll whip them into shape though.

Dana and ohana said...

sounds like quite the week! Enjoy sleeping in. Mr. Ansoen decided it was important to get up at 6:30 this morning. Ugh!

Anonymous said...

Kirstin,
In my first year, I was teaching the emotionally disabled students K-5 . I could not believe the how they acted upon their anger at such a young age to place them in self-contained classrooms. Now, at the high school, I am not told who they are unless they are learning disabled, too. They are mainstreamed in art. I recognize them immediately though. I love when I am able to reach them. It makes me so sad that most of them have been so hurt, neglected, and/or abused which is why they have the challenges that they do. I am thankful for teachers who are likeminded and care about these kids and try to reach them. Isn't it so awesome that last year's students have come so far? Teaching is the best!
Get some rest....
Aunt Lee

Kristine said...

i am glad you are doing this because i don't think i could, nor could most people. good thing you are quite sassy. all that wrestling with Auntie Roberta probably was great training for this job.